Friday, November 13, 2009

Ironman training / race season summer '09 (part 2)

In the midst of all the races David and I were starting to focus on training for our Ironman and trying to work it around teaching classes at the gym and our families…..and I run a home-based business that I try to maintain, but wasn’t very successful at doing so this summer. We had planned to do our century ride on June 5th and on a couple other occasions but it got pushed back a  few times for various reasons....(it's a big chunk of time so planning it with our schedules was not easy)....

Prepping for 100 mile ride: We finally attempted the 100 miler in July and OMG was it a crazy hard 100-mile attempt…..100 degree weather and all HILLS! Who’s idea was this anyway? Ok, so it was quite an ordeal to get to this route and get ‘er done……we had to drop one of our cars off in North Austin the night before our ride so we could just go from point A to point B (leave our “transition bags” (so to speak) with running gear b/c we were crazy enough to want to run afterwards)…….bike rack on the car, park in a lit area so it doesn’t get broken into, and don’t leave anything of value, etc. etc.  We decided to leave at 8 a.m…..which for us meant 8:30ish! 

Andice adventure:  We didn’t make the 100 miles……got in 68 instead….Dave got a flat that we couldn’t repair (in the middle of no where on the way to a little town called Andice). And……some scary, strung out, mass murderer-like guy picked us up (in a florescent yellow truck with red flames painted on the side). Seriously, this dude was creepy. I kept thinking of the movie Wolf Creek (go look it up……freaky scary and based on a true story). He drove us about 20 miles or so back to our car……Dave sat in the back of the truck bed sweating his hiney off holding our bikes and I sat up in the cab with scary man. Scary man (now remembering his name is George) asked me if I had a sister…….he invited me and Dave over for Barbeque…..he asked me how much our bikes cost…….he talked about how long he’d been out of rehab and how he now lives with his parents at age 43……scary man also told me about his bike accident and showed me his scars (not cool)……oh and I found out why they call that little town “Andice” Andice……feel free to ask me sometime…….geez he talked about a lot. I remember at one point there were tons of cops driving by with their sirens on and he said, “Man there sure are a lot of cops out today.” I replied with, “I sure hope they’re not coming after you.” Nice one Lindsey. :) Nice guy to pick us up ….but….ewwww he was scary. And we finally did get that 100 miles in (103 miles at that) on July 24th and it rocked (same route)! And that was my first century ride! Yayyy!

Run-Far Bike Time Trials: I did my first Run-Far bike time trial in July and got to go as fast as possible for 8 miles……that’s kinda fun! I did it a couple more times over the summer and my fastest pace was 24.4 mph. And guess what, I think I got 2nd at all 3 of them….. Go figure! I did a few Splash and Dash races throughout the summer as well…..good training tool…..especially when you almost DNF (did not finish) b/c you freak out on the swim….and it’s a 750 meter swim…..really? That’s another funny story!

I will start another post or two to finish up race season and training b/c this one is waayyy long!

9 days to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment