Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"What if you give up?"

Ireland was upset with me the other night when I told her I'd be out of town this weekend.  She's upset I'm doing another Ironman.  "But Mommy it takes so long.  What if you give up?  And I will miss you soooo much."  From the mouth of the babe.  Love her!  She went to my first Ironman in Arizona in 2009 and then again in November of 2010 in Florida.  What one thing comes up most often when they talk about mommy finishing her Ironman(s)??  Me throwing up after the race.  Awesome!  Maybe one day they'll get it.........  ;)

Here we go......3 days out!!  I am sooo EXCITED!  I think I'm more excited about this one than the last two I've done.  Which is completely insane b/c I haven't been able to run much at all......I'm just healing up that dang stress fracture.  But, I do feel absolutely amazing.  My swim fitness is way up.  I'm faster and stronger on the bike and I'm so ready to just hammer out both of those it's not even funny!  I'm just going to take it easy on the run and be smart out there.  If I'm walking......I'm walking!  Cheering everyone else on and walking.  I can't wait to see everyone out there "enjoying" the pain right along with me!  :-)  More than anything I am ready to really embrace the whole experience with amazing friends!!  I am grateful for an understanding and supportive husband.  Wow, he really rocks and there is no way I'd be doing this without his awesome support! 

It's been an awesome journey as it always is......finding out more about myself along the way.  Spending time with new and old friends on some hard training days through the wind, hot humid days.....and then more WIND!  Many times during my long training rides I wished I was home with my family and wondering why I was spending 6 hours sitting on a bike fighting the wind.  We like to call it therapy! 

I've had a great time getting to know Carrie Barrett and her FOMO tri training crew. I did some fun training rides with the group and get to room with a couple pretty awesome FOMO chicas in the Woodlands.  Can't wait Alisa and Maggie.  Woot!

After I did IMFL (and during the race really...ha!)....I didn't want to go into another full Ironman for a while (only problem was that I was already registered for IMTX)......  I've never been a quitter and found it really hard to back out of this one and decided to go with the flow and continue on the journey. 

So, I will give it my all out there and just LIVE IN THE MOMENT!!  I will continue to race in memory of my sweet cousin, Erik Mason Rudy, and carry him along all 140.6 miles.  He passed away a couple years ago of Leukemia and had 2 little boys.  I think of him and his family often, if not every day.  I will also be thinking of a friend recently diagnosed with cancer and honor her.  Love ya Jen.  I will be thinking of all you that have supported and cheered me along this little journey!

I loved having a Coach this time around and couldn't have done it without her.  Andrea Fisher has really helped keep me in check, "yelled" at me, lifted me up, and I truly trust her and respect her.  I am not overtrained, super confident and stoked to see how I do on Saturday.  Thanks Fish!  Texas Iron website: http://texasiron.net/

Mantras to get me through this rockin' weekend: This is what my body is meant to do. I am strong, I am confident, I am powerful. I can do this. I can and I will. This is a gift. Enjoy the moment and cherish the time! My cousin, Erik, is watching over me and I will carry him with me. My Oma & Opa are with me throughout the journey.
And my new favorite one from Coach Fish......."Damn, I look good!" ;-)

Let's do this!!




No comments:

Post a Comment